Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Mexican Chicken Soup

I was given this recipe by a friend who also is familiar with the South Beach Diet. I made it tonight (desperate for a change from the salad and BBQ steak/chicken I've been having for the past week!) and it was excellent and very easy.

Mexican Chicken Soup

1 T. canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, diced (I used 2 - we like things spicy)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3)
2 t. ground cumin
5 c. lower-sodium chicken broth (I used 6)
1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
2 c. mild refrigerated fresh salsa (I used 8 ozs. fresh pico de gallo because it's what I had)

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender - 5 minutes or so. Stir in garlic and cumin and cook 30 seconds longer. Add broth. Increase heat to high and bring to rapid simmer. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink - about 5 minutes. Stir in salsa and heat through. Makes 4 servings (2 1/4 c. each)

Per serving: 320 cal, 46 g. protein, 14 g. carbs, 8 g. fat, 1.5 g. sat fat, 100 mg. chol, 2 g. fiber, 680 mg sodium

No comments: