Monday, December 12, 2005

Williams Execution

Our Governor has denied clemency to Stanley Williams. His death - scheduled to happen in about 11 hours - seems to be imminent now. I've read reports that community leaders are worried about the possibility of "backlash" (from the 30,000 Crips members in south-central L.A. and others) post-execution. I lived in Los Angeles after the Rodney King verdict was announced and would hate to see that city - any city - go through anything even remotely similar.

3 comments:

Crazy Politico said...

I agree that I would hate to see the same thing happen again in LA.

However, I'm not sad to see Tookie get the juice tonight. I lived 6 blocks from the Long Beach Arena the night his boys decided to start a shoot out at a Run DMC show.

me said...

Death was his sentence - and it has been 20+ years since that was decided... He enjoyed many more days on this planet than the 4 people he was convincted of brutally killing ever did. Like you, I'm not necessarily "sad" to see him go - I don't think I could ever say that I'm pleased or happy about it, though. I can only hope that the family members and loved ones of his victims can gather some sense of closure now.

Alana said...

I agree...something needs to end this cycle of violence...