Monday, December 19, 2005

We're going on a Cruise!

I'm so excited! We were confirmed last week - in March 2006, we're flying from L.A. to Fort Lauderdale and cruising on the Caribbean Princess to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and the Princess Cays (a private island in The Bahamas). I'm nervous - having never been on a "real" ship before. (I've spent a few nights on The Queen Mary down in Long Beach but she doesn't move!) I know it'll be great, though - the kids are very excited. The countdown begins!




I'm a little concerned about my son and how he'll do... He suffers from Sensory Integration Disorder - oh the joys of Autism - and, while it's mostly under control (thanks to years of occupational therapy), I worry that the vestibular thing could be a problem for him while onboard the ship. We won't really know until we get there, unfortunately. I was panicked about it when I took him on an airplane for the first time last Summer (a 5-hour flight to Maui!) but he did incredibly well. Perhaps he'll surprise us this time as well. Maybe (hopefully) Mom will be the only one on this trip who has difficulty with her "sea legs"!

3 comments:

Crazy Politico said...

Don't worry Mom, with the stabilizer systems and other stuff those cruise ships ride better than most cars.

I've never done a "real cruise' only the 3-11 month variety the Navy provided me many years.

Hope you have fun with it.

me said...

I've been meaning to ask you about your Navy days! The family and I just signed up for a penpal and the one we were assigned is serving on the USS Ronald Reagan. We're going to write him this week and hopefully get a care package out in January!

Crazy Politico said...

That's nice of you. One thing folks love on a long cruise (without shuffleboard and massages) is someone sending 'real' mail and packages.

You can send me an e-mail anytime with all the questions you want. If you dont' have it, my address is in the profile on my blog.