Sunday, September 17, 2006

Knee Pads

Both of our kids were invited to a birthday party this afternoon - a rollerskating party. Sounds like fun, right? Unfortunately, neither of my kids has ever even touched a pair of roller skates - much less tried to maneuver a busy rink with them on their feet! They were both eager and willing to try, though - such troopers. Much to my dismay, 95% of the other kids were zipping around like little maniacs on theirs - while my kids frantically and hysterically tried to simply keep their balance. We did roller skates initially but someone suggested we switch to roller blades and the kids seemed to prefer them. It wasn't pretty - I won't lie - but in just the 90 minutes we were out there, I have to say that we did see marked improvement! More impressive than that was my son's determination. He definitely lags behnd his peers in the gross motor department - but he did not want to give up - he was determined to master them! He asked (and asked and asked and asked) for his own pair and we have decided to get them both some. I wanted to wait until Christmas (thinking they'd make a great Santa gift) but the kid wants them yesterday... Off to the sporting-goods store this weekend!

No comments: