Monday, January 23, 2006

Report Card Time

I'm so proud of my kids. The school-year is more than half over now and it's report-card tme. Both of my parent-teacher conferences last week were outstanding!

Academically, my son has grasped all of his goals for the first half of the year. He has reached about 90% of the second semester academic goals as well. (This is his 2nd year of Kindergarden so that's not a surprise). He's still having problems with "rhyming" for some reason - just can't seem to grasp the concept - but his teacher isn't concerned as it's simply a pre-reading skill and he reads quite consistently at a 2nd grade level currently. The things I was most concerned about - the things that prompted us to have him repeat Kindergarden - all seem to have resolved themselves. He received checkmarks in the "meets goals and expectations" boxes across the board - listens when others speak, follows commands, expresses feelings appropriately, completes assigned tasks... I'm so pleased and am feeling very confident that he'll be able to succeed in 1st grade next year. He has worked so hard to get to this point. Nothing comes easily for that little guy!

My daughter (12 months younger than her older brother) also did extremely well on her first-ever report card. She is so sharp. Save for 2 absences (we took the family on a trip to Phoenix for my husband's 50th birthday last Fall), her report card is absolutely perfect. We can really tell how much her teacher enjoys having her in her class. It's not hard for me to figure out why - she's a great little kid - smart and eager to learn. I'm such a lucky Mom.

I can only hope that the love of - and enthusiasm for - school both of my children have right now for continues for years to come!

No comments: