Tuesday, April 03, 2007

In Memory of Dana Fisher (August 21, 1953 - March 23, 2007)

When my husband and I purchased our very first personal computer, it was October of 1992. We were so excited to finally have access to the "world wide web". We subscribed to Prodigy (Classic) when it became available and I immediately became hooked on their message boards. Dana was the first person I met online - my very first "online friend".

He was a chemist and computer-know-it-all who helped me with everything from e-mail to HTML and beyond. We made the switch from Prodigy Classic to Prodigy Internet together and stayed in touch even after they were long gone (bought out by SBC Yahoo in 2001).

We exchanged e-mails, instant messages, photographs of our families, online jokes and websites and even Christmas cards through the mail for over 10 years. We loved to chat about our families, NASCAR, technology, bowling, his job and their beloved puppies.

In early 2006, he was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease) - news that stunned and deeply saddened me. He suffered tremendously and had to give up all activity very quickly once he lost use/mobility of his hands and arms. He passsed away on March 23, 2007 at home in West Virginia with his wife and family at his side.

No comments: