Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Brrrr!

California is in the midst of a major deep-freeze at the moment. We've had temps in the 20's every night for a week - breaking 20-40 year old records. Every morning, we are waking to stories of burst (frozen) pipes at area restaurants, homes and apartment complexes and the devastation to local citrus crops has been horrendous. I read somewhere that citrus in California is a $1 billion/year business and estimates are that 80% or more of crops have been destroyed.

The temperatures haven't bothered me as much as I'd have thought. I do worry constantly about my next PG&E bill (I'm conservative with the heater in our home but gas prices are high here right now) and, at night, I wake with every little sound - wondering if one of our pipes is getting ready to burst. The kids (neither of whom are accustomed to such temperatures) haven't minded much either. They'd love for some snow to accompany the cold weather but we haven't seen a single flake!

This is just going to make the arrival of Spring that much sweeter!

1 comment:

Crazy Politico said...

The pipes are easy to save, just leave a small bit of hot water running on one of your sinks. Since it gets the water from the cold main, the flow will prevent freezing.