Thursday, January 04, 2007

Are you KIDDING me?!

Right after Thanksgiving, a neighbor of ours began preparing for what was obviously going to be quite a large holiday party. We live in a neighborhood where large parties (political fundraisers, company parties etc.) are thrown frequently and it's not uncommon to see rental companies, caterers etc. driving up and down the street. Preparations for this particular get-together, however, were the likes of which I have never seen before. They started the Monday after Thanksgiving and continued all week long - dozens of trucks and vans daily handling tent installation, generator set-up, decorating... Most of the companies (rental agencies, party planners) were from Los Angeles - a bit unusual - and I drove by every day just dying of curiousity. I had hopes that the resident (new to the neighborhood) would kindly invite his neighbors (customary, isn't it?) - but no such luck.

The party was held on Saturday December 2nd. We saw a tour bus with music equipment pull up and unload early in the day and then limousines, caterers (Wolfgang Puck) and VIP transport/protection busses later on. We had tickets to a Lakers/Clippers game that evening so we missed out on the actual event. When we returned home just before midnight, things were breaking up and we never did hear what exactly went on.

I had mentioned the party to the lady who does my nails at my appointment in mid-December and she was as curious as I was. At my next appointment - just after Christmas - she couldn't wait to tell me that she had spoken with a client who was there (or was it a client who knew someone that was there?)! Apparently, the story was that the music guest at the party that night was none other than INXS - a band I have loved and followed since I was in high school! I didn't believe her at first - it was just too bizarre. The more I thought about it, though, the more plausible it seemed. They were back in the U.S. after touring in Europe - even in California on the Thursday before (House of Blues) and in Indio (2 hours from here) on Friday just the night before. I came home (stunned) and did a bit of research. I couldn't find any specifics but it was common knowledge on a few of the online fan bulletin boards that they were at an "invitation only private party" Saturday night.

Oh. My. God.

What are the chances of that?!

J.D. Fortune, Kirk Pengilly, Garry Beers, and Tim, Andrew and Jon Farriss - right across the street from my house! And I wasn't there! I will forever be annoyed by that fact... Note to self: GET TO KNOW THY NEIGHBOR!

2 comments:

Girl About Town said...

Hi & thanks for your wonderful comment on my blog.

So you're a fellow INXS fan...?!! Just had to come have a look at your blog - and I find this post!!! Lol, what part of CA do you live in exactly to have INXS partying *across the street* from your house??!! And more importantly: when can I move in?!!

Happy to have found your blog, will have a bit of catchup reading to do, I suspect!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

To not have been there.... to not have seen them.... to not have met and talked to them.... to not have heard them.....

pain!

eejay