Monday, July 17, 2006

Camera-Ready

Wow - the taping of Rock Star Supernova was even more fun than I imagined it'd be. I've been on numerous sets before having worked as an extra for a few years. Nothing I'd ever done was as enjoyable as this, though. My girlfriend and her husband were late getting here and, on the way into the city, we wasted some time in traffic and stopping for food. We still arrived an hour before the actual call-time but were shocked to find the parking garage totally full once we got there. We made a few circles and ended up at valet parking before jogging towards the studio - worrying the entire time that we might be too late to get in. We did, though - and were asked immediately to follow a P.A. to the pit next to the stage. A total treat! I was very pleased - we had an excellent spot for watching the rockers as well as the House Band. (What an incredible bunch of guys, by the way - Paul Mirkovich, Sasha Krivstov, Jim McGorman, Rafael Moreira and Nate Morton - amazing musicians and not hard on the eyes either!) We stood on set for over an hour before the actual taping started. The performers were great - I thoroughly enjoyed all but maybe two of them and I stand by my picks for a winner - I just have a feeling that either Dilana or Lukas will front Supernova come September. The songlist:

Patrice – Helter Skelter (The Beatles)
Josh – Come As You Are (Nirvana)
Storm – Just What I Needed (The Cars)
Lukas – Let’s Spend the Night Together (The Rolling Stones)
Jill – All Right Now (Free)
Ryan – Fortunate Son (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Phil – White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)
Dana – It’s My Life (Bon Jovi)
Toby – Runaway Train (Soul Asylum)
Magni – Plush (Stone Temple Pilots)
Zayra – Everybody Hurts (R.E.M.)
Jenny – Drive (Incubus)
Dilana – Zombie (The Cranberries)

Brooke Burke was adorable - tiny little thing. If I had to work, I think I'd want her job! Dave Navarro was a trip. Tommy Lee... Wow... The dude is definitely - uh - charismatic. I think he has ADD or something, though - he never stopped moving, bouncing around or fidgeting. We were clear across the floor from him but stories circulated constantly about his antics - hands-down-his-pants, boob-grabbing etc... Wild. Gilby Clarke seemed cool enough and I really really like Jason Newstead. I've found him to be the most enjoyable of the judges - always honest but kind and he gives reasonable, constructive criticism and not just Simon Cowell-esque put-downs. Being able to watch him (stop reading if you don't want a spoiler) perform with Phil during White Rabbit was the best.

We were given guaranty tickets for Wednesday's taping of the results show but I don't think we'll be able to make it... I do hope to make at least a few more performance shows this summer!

Oh yeah - J.D. - no sight or mention of him at all! Odd... They announced that Slash would be a guest the week before and then the same thing happened - no appearance and no explanation. I can't help but wonder if this is part of some MBP plan to get people to attend tapings and/or watch the show...

No comments: