Thursday, May 25, 2006

In The Zone

I haven't been very good about diet updates recently, have I? I became extremely frustrated with South Beach. I was on it hard-core for 4 weeks and lost 5.5 pounds. It was hard - I was often hungry, lacked energy and felt constantly deprived of things that I wanted. Too - the weight loss was so wacky and unpredictable - I'd be up 5 pounds in one day, down 3 the next - a total roller coaster. I began more research and, for a few weeks now have been doing something similar to The Zone Diet. In general, I don't believe in "elimination diets" - I never have. I believe that moderation is key. I gave in, though, to the "no/low carbs" hype before trying South Beach but just didn't feel like it was for me. I am using FitDay to keep track of my food intake and am trying to keep my percentages (of calories consumed daily) to 40% carbohydrates, 40% protein and 20% fat. I think The Zone Diet is actually 40/30/30 but I have definitely found that the 40/40/20 works better for me. (The less fat in my diet, the better.) I've lost a few pounds on it already but, more importantly, I am happy and feel great. I never feel left out or hungry and, after 7+ years of maternity clothes and sizes 10-12, my 8's are now falling off of me!

I hope to reach my goal weight (which is about 5 pounds less than where I was 11 years ago when I married my husband) by my 36th birthday on August 18th. I'm confident that I have a chance at succeeding!


No comments: