Thursday, May 04, 2006

End of Phase 1

While I haven't lost anywhere near the 8-13 pounds the South Beach Diet promises is possible during Phase 1, I'm calling my official weight loss 5 1/2 pounds over 2 weeks. Not stellar or inspiring - but a start, I suppose. I am going to try to move into Phase 2 (slowly adding certain carbs back into my diet) but am not looking forward to the fact that it will probably slow the already-painfully-slow weight loss progress. I was hoping to reach my goal by this Summer - long way to go still, though!

For dinner tonight:

Ginger Salad

1 T. dijon mustard
1 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. rice wine vinegar
1 T. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
3/4 c. canola oil
kosher salt
18 t. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 head iceburg lettuce, shredded
2 T. chopped fresh parsley leaves
lemon slices for garnish

In a blender on high speed, combine mustard, lemon juice, vinegar and ginger for just a few seconds until smooth. Then turn the blender to a lower speed and slowly pour the oil in a continuous stream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place shredded lettuce piled high in the center of a bowl with edges. Add dressing to lettuce and toss. Sprinkle parsley around the edges of the bowl and garnish with a lemon slice.

(I haven't tried the salad recipe but it sounded good and should go well with the other things I'm making (tried and true family recipes!)

Egg Fu Yung

5 eggs
1 c. bean sprouts
1/2 c. shredded celery
1/4 c. shreded onions
1 t. salt
1/4 t. MSG
4 oz. can drained mushrooms
1/2 c. canned crab, shrimp or chicken (I'm using fresh baby shrimp)
1 t. dry sherry
dash of pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl just enough to break yolks. Do not beat. Cook in hot fat (pancake shape) until browned, turning once. Keep warm and serve with sauce.

Egg Fu Yung Sauce

2 c. chicken broth
1/4 t. MSG
1/2 t. salt
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. catsup
1 T. sugar
3 1/2 T. flour
1/4 c. cold water

Mix first 6 ingredients together in sauce pan. Add flour to water and mix into broth. Cook over medium high heat stirring constantly until thickened. Cover and keep warm.

2 comments:

Crazy Politico said...

The Egg Foo Yung sauce is better if you can use corn starch instead of the flour.

Good luck on the diet.

me said...

Hmm - I'll have to give that a try. My Mom's been making it this way (with flour) for 30+ years. I'd rather the corn starch, frankly, as I'm avoiding white flour on the diet. Thanks for the tip!