Thursday, November 17, 2005

A "Cure"

In a few of my recent posts, I've mentioned the possibility of finding a "cure" for Autism. It's been brought to my attention that not all parents of Autistic children (nor all Autistic adults) necessarily want a cure to be found. Some believe that it's not necessary - that they (or their children) don't need to be "cured".

This fascinates me. I admit that it was probably close-minded of me - but it never occurred to me that there might be people out there who felt that way. I, of course, respect them and their wishes but would ask, in return, that they respect me and mine.

I love - adore - my Autistic son but it makes my heart hurt to see him frustrated and struggling with the issues that his diagnosis burdens him with. If there were something out there that could "cure" my precious boys' uneasiness in certain social situations, his preoccupation with parts of objects (wheels!), his socially and emotionally inappropriate responses, his spontaneous verbal chirps ("stims"), the difficulty he has with eye contact, his inability to "turn off his brain" and sleep restfully at night without medication, his limited (but intense) range of interests, his failure to develop age-appropriate peer relationships... you can bet that I'd jump at it.

3 comments:

Crazy Politico said...

I'm not sure how to take the idea of someone who thinks that a cure isn't necessary.

Like other diseases and disabilities, I'm sure it's possible to live a close to "normal" life with autism. But it's still only close.

I have some people very close to me who deal with severe depression and bipolar disorders, and I know that they'd love to not have to deal with the sudden onset of problems, sometimes triggered by the strangest things. While medication helps, it still doesn't make everything quite "right".

(funny, my verification word starts with OCD, while typing about disorders. I'm worried)

Jenn said...

I'm with you 100% - If I could find a cure, you bet I'd sign my boys up for that!!!

QueenBitch said...

I have come across sites in the past from Aspies (those with Asperger's)and can kind of see where they are coming from with the denouncement of a possible cure. Many of them weren't diagnosed until adulthood, and have had to learn the hard way to live with their "eccentricities" -- so much that a cure would deny who they are as people.

I can completely understand that, and when I think about my Aspie nephew I can't stand the thought of him being different. However, the social pain he goes through on a daily basis as he gets older is unbearable. That in itself makes me want a cure...he can't be protected forever.