Thursday, November 24, 2005

Black Friday

From Wikipedia:

Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving in the United States, is historically one of the busiest retail shopping days of the year. Many consider it the "official" beginning to the holiday season. The "black" in the name comes from the standard accounting practice of using red ink to denote negative values (losses) and black ink to denote positive values (profits). Black Friday is the day when retailers traditionally get back "in the black" after operating "in the red" for the previous months, often by cutting prices considerably. In addition, most retailers will open very early.

Although Black Friday is typically the busiest shopping day of the year in terms of customer traffic, it is not typically the day with the highest sales volume. That is usually either Christmas Eve or the last Saturday before Christmas.

Because of the large amount of shopping that typically occurs on Black Friday, it has also become Buy Nothing Day."


Oh how I miss the days of 5 AM shopping on the Friday after Christmas! For the past few years, my husband has worked on Black Friday and I just haven't felt brave enough to venture out on my own with 2 small children. For those who go and enjoy it, some links for you...

5 comments:

Dustin said...

i'm sleeping in!
screw that!

Tammy said...

LOL...I work retail...I have to be at work at 5:30am...no Black Friday shopping for me!

Happy Thanksgiving!

me said...

Oh Tammy - poor you! Our mall opened its doors to 10,000 people at 2 AM this morning! I definitely have sympathy for retail workers on days like this. I hope your day goes by quickly!

Crazy Politico said...

Online shopping in my boxers is my preferred "Black Friday" way of handling the rush. Cup of coffee, no screaming kids, no rude people (except me).

Have a great day.

me said...

I did my share of it online today too. (Not in my boxers though. LOL!)