Sunday, January 27, 2008

Intervention

My husband has been asked to participate in an intervention. It's for the son of a good friend of ours. At the very least, he has a problem with alcohol and has been spiraling downward for years now - filing for bankruptcy and getting what I believe was his 2nd DUI. The meeting is happening at this very moment and I'm anxiously awaiting to hear how it went. My husband and I worked on his letter for the intervention together and the interventionist suggested the book Love First by Jeff and Debra Jay (which I read and gave my husband the "cliff's notes" version of). The book was amazing. I learned so much from it. It actually gave me hope and has me thinking about the possibility of planning an intervention of my own. I have a younger sister who has a substance abuse problem. We, as a family, have been trying to "just accept" it for years - feeling like there was nothing we could do but wait for her to hit her "rock bottom" and finally allow us to help her.

Update: The intervention went as well as it could've! Our friends' son was very surprised at the confrontation but not hostile, very humble and appreciative and willing to get help. The interventionist has already taken him to the treatment facility chosen by his family and we're hopeful that he will do well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful Jessica. What a thing to participate in---it had to be so emotional. I hope your sister can get the same wake up call.

Kerry