Friday, July 27, 2007

So Hard To Say Goodbye


We are about to lose a beloved family pet and it's more difficult than I ever imagined it'd be. My cat, Peaches (a.k.a. Peenie McFeenie, Peeper, PeePee Dirl, Peenie Mu-Cha-Cha, Chicka, Peenerator etc.), was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. Her abdomen is filled with masses and there isn't anything that can be done. I was given a medication (ciproheptadine) to stimulate her appetite in hopes that we can make her more comfortable over the weekend. (She hasn't eaten in a few days and is weighing just 4 pounds after losing 10+ pounds in recent months.) The medication is working but I'm not sure I'm going to continue to administer it to her as the nature of her cancer (stomach, liver, bowels etc.) is making the elimination of what she is eating difficult and painful.

I am trying to prepare the children (ages 7 and 8) but it's hard when I don't feel prepared myself. Their questions - my daughters' especially - are so difficult to answer.

Peaches has been a wonderful pet and companion for almost 14 and a half years. She has always had a sweet disposition and a kind, loving nature. She will be terribly missed.

The picture above was taken back in 1993 when she wasn't even a year old yet. She is the one on the counter - my other cat, Bo, is the one in the sink.

No comments: