Thursday, March 08, 2007

FORE!

I've started golfing again.

It's a sport that I spent time around my entire life. My Father has played (every Saturday and Sunday) for as long as I can recall and my husband plays once or twice/week as his schedule allows. I first picked up a club in 1995 - right after we were married. I was instantly hooked. I wasn't great - but I did seem to inherit my Fathers' natural swing and I definitely discovered a passion for it.

For a few years, I played regularly with a girlfriend - two or three times during the week. In 1998, though, once I became pregnant for the first time, I gave it up. I lost that pregnancy (as well as a few others) and my priorities changed as my husband and I struggled to start our family. My children were born in June of 1999 and June of 2000 and I didn't get back onto the driving range until 2002. Even that, though, was short-lived - life was just too hectic with two toddlers for me to get out and play with any regularity.

My kids are finally in school full-time (5 hours/day), now, and I have been thinking about picking it up again since last Fall.

Recently, I dusted off my Callaway irons and my Big Bertha driver and started visiting the range again on the days when I don't work in the classrooms. It's great to be back out there again! Starting next week, I hope to start playing at least two times/week. God help me! As much as I enjoy the game - it makes me absolutely nuts. I expect a lot of myself and have high expectations that I can't consistently meet!

No comments: