Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Britney

I know that most are probably tired of hearing about Britney Spears' head-shaving/tattoo-acquiring escapade last Friday night. It's been on my mind, though, and I have decided to post (briefly) about it... I was very upset when I heard about what she'd done and mortified when I saw those first few pictures.

I do not think there is anything amusing or funny about what she did. I do not think her behavior was part of any "publicity stunt" and I do not think she's doing it because she is an "idiot" or "looking for attention".

My gut feeling is that she is a girl who is in desperate need of help - vulnerable, out of control and, most likely, under the (heavy) influence of either alcohol or drugs (or both). She is self-destructing.

Someone very close to me went through something similar a few years ago (although obviously not as publicly) and it was horrible. Most facilities will not keep someone against their will so - unless the person with the issues wants to, they cannot be forced to accept help. We were told that there was nothing we could do and that waiting for our loved one to "hit rock bottom and ask for help" was our only option. I feel for Britney's family right now - especially those two precious baby boys. I have no doubt that - despite her behavior - she loves her children. Whatever she is under the influence of is rendering her completely incapable of making sensible decisions and taking reasonable care of her children and even herself.

There are reports this afternoon that she has, once again, entered a rehabilitation facility voluntarily - Promises (in Malibu and not far from the home that she, probably hastily, put up for sale yesterday). I hope she is really ready to admit that she has a problem and that she is prepared to put forth the effort to get and stay clean and healthy.

No comments: